Thursday 30 August 2012

OS X UPDATES: The great disappearing act

After a month of using OS X Mountain Lion, the biggest thing I've noticed is not noticing the differences.

The benefits of rapid releases

In UX we are fans of rapid prototyping in order to comb out errors and improve the experience, and the agile environment encourages frequent releases.With software updating rapidly, the changes and benefits are easily missed. I don't know how often my Chrome browser updates, nor do I know what has changed with it. Back when I used Firefox, I would always read the page after an update to see all of the new features added. When rapid iterations appeared I stopped noticing the changes and stopped being interested in them.

Is being unnoticed good or bad?

Having updated many OS X versions in the past, I've always loved to read about the new features and explore them when they arrive. Building an anticipation for a product is something Apple has used for many years now to increase hype and excitement, hence the queues on release days.
When Apple sell their new OS, the changes are a leading reason to buy. If they are not being noticed, does it discourage it's customers from buying?

Why am I missing the changes?

Maybe it's just me missing the changes, maybe I've bought out of Apple's eco system.
The notification center offers me no notifications, I don't use Mail, iCal and tend to use 3rd party software. I prefer using my Twitter client as I want to see what is happening in my timeline, so I'm not going there for that.
Messages seems difficult to set up, I don't know how to add my contacts and they don't seem to have synched from my iPhone contact list. And, when I'm on my computer I tend to stick to my emails anyway.

Noticing what hasn't changed

The things that I notice most, are the things that annoyed me in Lion. Having to tell my computer I want to run apps I download off the internet, is completely unnecessary.
Not having scroll bars looks nice, but if I'm using something new there is lack of visual cues that there is content 'below the fold'. It took me a few days to notice where my removable devices were in Finder because I didn't realise it was possible to scroll the left hand menu in finder.
There were many more problems I found with Lion that are still present and still annoying me in Mountain Lion.

An OS is not just an update

The key point for me, is that releasing a new OS is more than just an update. My Chrome browser updates rapidly, just like my OS adds updates for security fixes etc. 
When a new OS is released I'm expecting something new, changes that will make using my computer a better experience. Just take a look at the difference between Windows 7 and 8. That is a new OS not an update to Windows 7.
I realise that Mountain Lion, is an  extension to Lion so changes will not be ground breaking. More like an iPhone S to the model before. But, if I'm not seeing any changes in doing it, and I'm paying to do it, is it being packaged to me in the right way?


No comments:

Post a Comment